Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Squared-Off, Stand-Up Tote Tutorial

upcycled stand-up tote bag with gussets  (11.1
I like when tote bags stand up on their own (instead of flopping over onto their sides). Here’s a brief how-to on making a square bottom, or gusseted bag using the Upcycled Tote Bag Tutorials I’ve previously posted.

To make the bag, you’ll have to refer to my two tutorials for an upcycled tote bag: Part 1 and Part 2.
I made the pieces for this bag slightly larger—about 12.5” x 13”.

Follow the instructions for the bag but don’t attach the lining to the exterior until you complete these next steps:
(The following instructions are detailed in the above collage.)

Prior to assembling the bag, take the lining and fold it so that the bottom seam and side seam are right on top of each other. You should have a triangle of fabric. Measure down 2” from there and draw a line with chalk or a fabric marker. Sew completely through that line to both ends of the triangle. (See the top picture for reference.)

You will snip this corner off, but prior to that, make sure that the seams match up. (Middle picture in the above collage-you should have a “+” sign with the seams.) 
If not, remove the stitching and try again.

The bottom picture in the collage shows how each piece (the lining and exterior) will stand alone.

upcycled stand-up tote bag with gussets  (13)
And if you want a tote bag but don’t feel like making your own, stop by my Etsy shop. This one is for sale! Never mind, it was sold at a craft show! I'll have a similar one listed in the Etsy shop soon.

4 comments:

  1. So Cute!I love the pocket!
    I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Have a fum weekend!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! You do great work :-)
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way with purses. I like them to stand up and not fall over. This bag is way cute. I love the pocket on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bag! I love the fabric you lined it with too, we have a little vintage trailer that looks something like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!