Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Crinkly Toys for Babies and Pattern

I love making baby things. One fabric I have has whales printed onto it, and I wanted to make a matching whale toy. I made it crinkly in the middle! Want to see how? It's very frugal...literally...I used garbage.

Here are two finished toys:

Print out the pattern for the whale (link found at the end of this post!)

To make the whale, cut two pieces from flannel (or whatever fabric you want to use for the outside of the toy.) Then cut two pieces of white fleece. Pin them together. I sewed with wrong sides together, so there was no turning. (I didn't think I'd be able to turn the whale's tail--too skinny.)

You'll need to round up something super crinkly for the stuffing. I didn't have any chip bags or things like that, so I used these egg noodle bags:

Sew around the whole perimeter but leave a space at the bottom for stuffing.

Next, stuff the crinkly packaging you selected between the layers of white fleece. I also stuffed in some regular non-crinkly stuffing. Don't stuff it too tightly or it will not crinkle very loudly.

I sewed up the space I left for stuffing and then I added an eye for the whale. He looked a little sparse without it. If the toy was for a girl, I would add a bow somewhere.

This is the link to use my whale pattern.

4 comments:

  1. I love this is so cute. I have two preschoolers and have twins on the way in May. I am looking for some wonderful ladies to guess post sewing tutorials. I would love to have you.
    Check out my blog and let me know what you think.
    I don't need it until May or June.
    http://www.couturiermommy.com
    evaharp@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I alway looking to find new ideas for baby gifts. These are PERFECT! Love the animal shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is such a good idea!! I never would have thought to do that :) would love for you to come link up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!