Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sewing Machine Cover Instructions

I decided to use up some more of my upholstery fabric to make a sewing machine cover. (When we get our new home built, I'll have a sewing area that doesn't involve semi-permanent takeover of the dining room table.)
These are the dimensions my cover had to be to fit my machine (it is a little more generously sized than necessary):

1 piece for the top 9" x 18"
2 (front and back) 18" x 12"
2 (sides) 9" x 12"

To begin, I sewed the front, back, and sides together first in one long strip (right sides together). I zig-zagged all my edges and then I hemmed the bottom.

Next, I sewed the sides together to make a box (no top yet!) I then carefully pinned the top onto the box (right sides together), sewed around it, and then zig-zagged to finish the top's inside edges.

All done! Make sure if you're using any type of striped or patterned fabric, you m
atch the pattern at the edges. This was the first time I had to do that and didn't meet perfectly at all the corners. Oops. Learn from me.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this sewing machine cover. I really need one to keep the dust from collecting on the machine. Picture looks easy enough and your directions are clear, so wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to buy a sewing machine cover, but after finding your great cover I think I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!