Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is one of my husband's favorite recipes. I make it in the slow cooker. It requires very little prep other than chopping a few veggies and opening a few cans and smells good while it is cooking all day!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 Bell pepper (any color), chopped*
1 28.5-oz can of diced or crushed tomatoes
1 14-oz can tomato sauce
1 cup salsa, any intensity (we usually use medium)
2 14-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 t cumin
1 t basil
3-4 crushed garlic cloves
3 or 4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients, add one cup of water, and stir in your slow cooker or Crock-Pot. Turn the slow cooker on 'low' for 8-10 hours. At the end of the cooking time, shred the chicken breasts with two forks (they will be very tender).

I like to make rice to go with this soup. We also like to add sour cream, cheese, and fresh cilantro to top off the soup. I sometimes make corn bread or corn muffins to round out the meal.

*I added Banana Peppers from our garden when I made this yesterday! You can also add canned corn or fresh corn cut off of the cob.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!